Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rhythm Part 1

Rhythm Part 1

That age old problem facing many musicians of modern electronic keyboard instruments (and note that I am including Digital Pianos and Keyboards here) is when to use a background RHYTHM.

I am lucky in that sense as I can always feel the natural rhythm in the music, and can play either way easily. Being a Ballroom and Latin American Dancer also helps. (That was how I met my Wife). The problem is that Automatic Rhythms can make life so easy, at least that was what I thought in the early days of playing a Thomas Organ with Color-Glo (Yes I spelt it the American way as that was how it was on the organ).

That wonderful Ta-Tat-Tat-Ta, Tat-Tat Ta ,Tat-Tat-Ta, taking you past the Tick-Tick-Tick-Tick of the trusty metronome was a real boost. Suddenly on the organ as you tried to do the basic, Pedal-Chord-Chord, Pedal-Chord-Chord. Pedal-Chord-Chord, on your Moon River Waltz, the music gained more depth and a certain richness, as the tempo was steadier. Fine you say, BUT, what happens when you want to stop the rhythm, or re-start the rhythm. You see that is where a live percussionist (Drummer for the uneducated!!!) is different, as he or she can slow down, pause stop, fill in, restart or just adapt to the mood of the music and the musician they are accompanying. Mind you as my son is a percussionist with a Ludwig Drum kit, that can raise a WHOLE LOT of other problems.

So, back to rhythm. Many people can tell the difference between a Waltz, with its 3 / 4 timing, that is a constant 1-2-3 fitted into every bar of music (A bar being 4 beats hence 3 / 4 time) and a simple 4 / 4 time such as a Swing. The problem is recognising the various other rhythms. The list is large and includes Rhumba, Tango, Samba, Bossanova, March, March Polka, Dixie, Ballad, Slow Foxtrot and Jazz Waltz, to name but a few. Now I have to say that, over the years, different organ manufacturers have tinkered with rhythms on their products and having played many different makes of organ in my younger days, I have my favourites. As far as my own organs went, on the Lowrey Citation Spinet, I loved the Mambo, and Go-Go (you could also mix the rhythms on this). On the Lowrey Coronation it was the March Polka and Waltz. On the Lowrey MX1 it was most of them, on my current Technics GX5 it is the Bossanova, March, Rhumba, Cha Cha. , Jazz Waltz, Swing and Tango.

My answer to your selection problem, is listen to an example of the music being performed by somebody else such as an orchestra or rock band, whilst having your eyes closed. Listen to the rhythm and musical movements, then while you are still thinking about the melody, place your rhythm section on and listen to all the variations of each rhythm pattern that is similar to your piece of music. Adjust the tempo (speed) as necessary to match the one in your head, then listen for the one that most matches your memories of the piece. Believe me, there is no easy answer.

As an example, I love playing the piece of music "You're The Only Good Thing That Happened To Me. I have the Jim Reeves version but I was lucky enough to meet that great Organist Steve Lowdell, and he plays is beautifully in a smooth Waltz style on his Cassette/CD "GEMS". Now the Waltz rhythm on my Technics GX5 is fine, but the accompaniment to the Waltz is nowhere near as good as on my old Yamaha HC4 (Which I have now donated to my son and his wife following their recent marriage.) Although the Waltz rhythm itself is thin, the flowing arpeggios of piano that go with it, compensate dramatically.

I will finish this now by saying that this subject of Rhythm will be continued on my next article and on my Organ Blog, and I hope that I have given you a few things to think about. Remember, ROME was not built in a day.


My Link for you today is from my You Tube site


It is I Love You Because featuring a Swing Rhythm


See you soon

Robin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool post as for me. I'd like to read more about that matter. Thanx for sharing that information.

Souci said...

Hi

I just got a technics gx5, but without a manual. We are figuring out most of the buttons, but I can't figure out how to start a rhythm or the metronome.

Can you point me to this info or walk me through it? I feel so fortunate to have come across your blog and have a sense of someone enjoying this keyboard and making music.

Thanks very much.
Souci

Robin said...

Hello Souci.
Good to hear from you and I am so sorry for noT getting back sooner only I live in Christchurch New Zealand and we have had some bad earthquakes since Sept 2010.

First. There is NO Metronome on the GX5 (i now have a GA3 and there is no metronome on that either.

I have now created a new Music Blog and I am happy to stay in contact with you and discuss your organ.

http://howtoenjoythemagicofmusic.blogspot.co.nz/


I have only just sold my GX5 and got the Technics GA3.

my best wishes

Robin

Robin said...

Hello Souci.
Good to hear from you and I am so sorry for noT getting back sooner only I live in Christchurch New Zealand and we have had some bad earthquakes since Sept 2010.

First. There is NO Metronome on the GX5 (i now have a GA3 and there is no metronome on that either.

I have now created a new Music Blog and I am happy to stay in contact with you and discuss your organ.

http://howtoenjoythemagicofmusic.blogspot.co.nz/


I have only just sold my GX5 and got the Technics GA3.

my best wishes

Robin